Let's Connect

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Positively Musical

Music
The other day I had mentioned the passing of a man who did his best to help others.  It was revealed at his memorial that he had chosen all of the quotes, scriptures, and music for the service.  Oh the music, it was absolutely beautiful.  An organist was flown in from New York.  I have never heard such glorious music, especially live on a pipe organ.  I am a sucker for music, I hear a note and I can weep like a baby. You can imagine the mess I was in when this extraordinary organist played music that Dr. Wilson had personally chosen and he played one of my favourite composers, Bach.  To be sitting in the historic St. Barnabas Church with its antiquated flags hanging from the World Wars, the spectacular pillars, chandeliers and arches and then to hear the heavenly music on the pipe organ was purely touching to this history lover and classical music fan.  I see Dr. Wilson and I had more in common than I knew.
He had selected some very inspirational quotes, which summarized who he was and what he stood for.
"The purpose of life is not to be happy.  It is to be useful, to be honourable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Do you know that this usefulness paid off for me?  Dr. Wilson encouraged all of us student teachers to get involved with our community.  We volunteered for all kinds of things...intramurals, floor hockey tournaments, fundraising...it was because of his encouragement to join our Education Undergraduate Society, that I earned the privilege to fly on an airplane for the first time in my life and was able to stay at the historic and magnificent Empress Hotel in Victoria, Vancouver Island.  I organized a fashion show to fundraise and  lead a group of students to create art of Alphonse Mucha for the set design.  Because of my involvement, I was chosen with a few others to go to a conference for other student teachers from all across Western Canada.  It was the first time I had seen the ocean and had learned what life was really like first hand. That there really are classes in our society...I saw the haves and the have nots...the truly wealthy and the truly desparate... I had a man beg me on the waterfront for a job, because he thought my daddy was a rich man, because he saw me leaving the Empress Hotel.  Seeing people lounging around and having high tea, while knowing that outside men were pleading to find work, made the experience an eye opening, bitter sweet lesson!

Anyways, I have volunteered for other little things since then, but have never really thought of where and when the idea to help out started.  Now I know!

Another quote that he chose that I found particularly profound was the following:

Music detail

"Indeed, I would go out of my mind were it not for music.  That is truly heaven's greatest gift to mankind as it blunders about in the darkness.  Music alone brings light and calm, and reconciliation.  But it is not merely a straw to be grabbed at: it is a true friend, a protector, and comforter, and it alone makes life on this earth worth living ." 
-Peter Illyich Tchaikovsky 

Isn't this so true?  I wake up each day and turn on the music.  I arrive at work and turn on the music. I drive wherever I go to music. I turn on music when I reflect, when I create art, when I go to bed! Music always fills my soul.  I just can't believe how people can compose such beautiful pieces of music that convey their feelings, thoughts and experiences, especially the composers of classical music.  They tell such magnificent stories and open their hearts to us, without even a word... With  just eight notes, timing, the pressure of their fingers on their instruments, the loudness or softness of their playing, all portraying a mood, a story, a peace of history, a moment in time, a memory...How can something be so lasting?  So powerful?  So touching? So important ?  Positively, Music is truly my friend and is there no matter what!

 Let the music around you comfort you and fill your soul with warmth and understanding and peace and joy!
Music Spreads Light
Renee's art is her soul property.
Please contact her at
to seek permission to use her images.

Comments

  1. Beautifully written Renee, and I love your journalpage. The combination of the bold black lines with the delicate flowers is great.
    Thnx for your comments on my blog, I love reading them ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your encouragement and specific feedback. You are very welcome. ♥

      Delete
  2. Dr. Wilson was a wise man! I would've been gone with the first note from the pipe organ as well! Beautiful words with beautiful art Renee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments and compliments. I look forward to hearing from you and to seeing your wonderful photographs every day on your blog. I have started to cut back a bit and not blog every night because I need more sleep and I have been working on bigger art projects that take me longer to work on. Thanks for visiting!☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise Renee! :) Blogging everyday has it's challenges!!! I'm still trying to figure out 'what the heck I was thinking' when I committed to 365 days!!! I blame Gena! Hahaha! I figured if she could paint daily ... surely snapping a photo each day would be easy!!! NOT!! LOL!

      Thank YOU for being a regular visitor to my blog! I greatly appreciate it and I look forward to your posts ... daily or not! Your posts are always so well written and your artwork is inspirational!!!

      Delete
    2. Your support means a lot and makes blogging and creating fun!! It is neat and encouraging to have an audience!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving comments, they warm my Canadian heArt!

Popular Posts