Let's Connect

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

I Positively Think I Can...


Improving my drawing of people is my primary goal for this year.  Sketchbook Skool has really helped me in the past two weeks.  I think I can, I know I can...I did it... 

Well, I did improve! I finally did it!   It took all week to get my son to model for me.  He was doing his chemistry homework, again, so I thought it was an opportune time to draw him.  It was a lot easier than I thought, thanks to all of the lessons we have had lately with negative space. Our assignment for this week was to draw with a model for fifteen minutes, then use photos to add the details. 

My goal is to improve with drawing hands (yikes) and work on proportions.  My poor son has huge shoulders thanks to my drawing skills.  Oh, well,  my drawings are getting better each day.

I did not allow myself to use pencil.  I used a Micron Pen 0.2, a Copic marker, a flesh tone watercolour pencil, a Faber-Castell Pittpens (shades of grey set) and watercolour paint.

image

This coloured pencil crayon drawing is of Koosje, one of my drawing teachers....A warm up before getting to the live drawing.
                                                 

image


This next drawing is of my granddaughter.  I think I am going to try this one again sometime.  I used a thick brush pen to draw and then missed fine details because of it.



Looking at a photo helped me to build up courage for a live model. See what I mean about the scary hands?  


Thanks, Vin and Koosje for the lessons!  You have helped me to grow as an artist!


Here are a few extra pictures I drew this week, as a warm up to teaching my grade one students how to paint an owl with the Chinese Brushstroke method.





I experimented with making my own paint.  I crushed up shale (ochre) from a path at a local path and I used blueberries.


I hope you all have had an enjoyable artist week.  Thank you to our Paint Party hosts for giving us a platform to share on!

Comments

  1. Lots of wonderful art this week. Your skills are developing very well, and hands are really very difficult. Love the owls, what a wonderful technique! Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really wonderful drawings and paintings.
    Happy PPF xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely drawings...you are so good at capturing the moment..hands are by far the most difficult part of people...far more difficult than faces. I notice lots of artists avoid drawing them. It is possible to practice drawing your own hand though...that's what I used to do...over and over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely drawings...you are so good at capturing the moment..hands are by far the most difficult part of people...far more difficult than faces. I notice lots of artists avoid drawing them. It is possible to practice drawing your own hand though...that's what I used to do...over and over!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all your drawings this week, especially the son's portrait and the grandbaby's portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. really super drawings Renee! It's a great feeling to take a class you can truly learn from and to be able to see your growth. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I simply adore your banner, full of wonderful juicy art. Your hands are looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of lovely art. Well done on the drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful drawings Renee! I have been following your blog since a few years now and I can really see your art improving every time. Yes, hands are so difficult, but I think you're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First of all I LOVE your blog banner! It is so rich in color and design!!! Hello fellow SBS klassmate too! Love your portrait of your son doing his homework. I do see great changes in your art style. Isn't it fun to watch and SEE our progress! Every day we learn new things and they show up on our pages. Have another CREATIVE WEEK!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Renee these are fabulous...I love the one of your son...so well done still maintaining your lovely style!! Thanks for sharing...

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an interesting post and artwork Renee,
    It reminds me about the saying 'it's all about the journey... not necessarily about the destination'. It's fascinating to see progression in our work.
    You've captured your son working away beautifully. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving comments, they warm my Canadian heArt!

Popular Posts