Let's Connect

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Another Use For Your Mixed Media Visual Journaling Skills: A Canvas One of a Kind Love Heart





Have you ever created mixed media art on unstretched canvas?  I never have, until now!  The skills you learn in your visual journal can be applied to other surface.

This is my first try at mixed media journaling on unframed canvas.    






I gessoed the canvas first.  I used an old gift iTunes card to spread the gesso more easily and quickly.



Next, with gel medium and a pallet knife, I collaged on music pages,  book pages, and hand marked tissue paper.



Next I added marks, lines, stencils and some doodles.



I also added some text about love, self-love and song lyrics with acrylic ink.






This is what the master board/canvas looked like.




Next, I drew a heart on a piece of paper, and then traced it onto the canvas, cut it out and then, added more marks or colours to balance off the heart.




Here is a close up.  Next, I did more mark making and journaling about love, friendship, and self-love.  



I also machine stitched both the front and the back of the hearts, added a fabric hanger, sewed them together with wrong sides together, so the stitching could be seen.  I left a hole to add the stuffing, and stuffed them.  I learned that it is best to not leave the hole at the top where the where the v of the heart is, as it makes it difficult to machine stich it there with all of the stuffing inside.  On my next heart, I will leave the stuffing opening towards the bottom of the heart.

Finally, I decided the one side was a bit to "loud", so I added the canvas, rubber stamped banner "Love".




This is one heart with two different sides.  This is one side.



This is the other side!  Isn't the heart cute against the old bingo card and Britannica Encyclopedias?

 


  I love how Medicine Hat, Dunmore and Seven Persons are appearing through the layers! 



 I have more hearts on the go, and plan on making two sizes.  Each will be one of a kind.





Mixed media visual journaling will bring you great satisfaction, and will also give you skills that can be used in a variety of contexts.


Be creative.  Be happy, Be healthy!




Comments

Popular Posts