Let's Connect

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Traveling Watercolour Kit



I attended a workshop last week with Deborah Peters founder of the Neuro Engineering Institute, and one of her lessons was to put oneself out to the universe and the universe will answer. On the very same day that I posted my watercolour traveling kit on Facebook, a friend asked me to create a watercolour kit for his running friend who is turning forty.

I began in my visual journal and planned out different layout based on my friend's requests. I also kept track of how much time I spent creating, so I have a better idea of what to charge in the future.



Then I transferred the image into the Paper app on my iPad and played around with the layouts.



I erased the backgrounds and played with new colours.





I decided to use an old atlas because the colours are so beautiful and complimentry to the colours of the runner. I used an old Sucrets tin.





I collaged a fortune cookie message, and messages typed on a typewriter. I included my contact information and my blog address.







The plastic from a Slurpy cup was utilized to make the sections for the watercolour paint. I had a horrible time gluing the plastic. I kept testing each section to make sure water didn't leak, and it did, over and over again. Grrrrrrr. I decided from now on to use watercolour pans. I ordered some from Amazon. They are inexpensive and will save me A LOT of time and frustration in the future. Look all of the glue gun mess. Yuck! Rubber cement was suggested in a book that I read. I may have to try it.




The watercolour paint is professional grade from Winsor Newton, primary colours, plus Daniel Smith's Quinacridone Magenta.


Included is a reusable and washable “sock top” is to put around one's wrist to clean a paint brush or dab paint.



There is space for a little pool of water or to add a small brush or a few little pencil crayons or a golf sized pencil. This time I put the old sock and the names of the paint in the space. The lid is attached on this one,, giving less space for the sock on top.


Little pieces of watercolour paper were added to the lid. The plastic was reused from a sour cream container and can be used as a palette and to stop the paint from running all over the place when the tin is closed. I cut a little tab to help pull out the plastic more easily.




I covered up the Sucrets labels on the sides and added a typed quote. It is my motto: Live a Creative Life! I left "Lemon/Citron" showing for fun and as a reminder that the container was reused.




I hope the kit will be well used.

Remember, put your self out there and the universe will answer. It might not be immediately or in the way you think it might answer, but it will answer.




This is my visual journal reflection of the process.  Visual journals can be used to think ideas through, make decisions and reflect on experiences. I just finished my reflection about making my first commission of making a traveling watercolour kit. This is my brainstorming, thoughts and feelings.

Comments

  1. Love your art today, and everything you did with your running shoe. The wtaer colour kit is fabulous! Happy PPF, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous idea regarding the watercolour kit, a super little created paint tin.
    Happy PPF Tracey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! What a wonderful idea and a great gift to receive. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent art and the water color paints...what a lovely gift!!!

    Happy PPF!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow a great post. I love what you did with this art and thanks for sharing how you create.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that looks fantastic! What a wonderful little personal palette to have! Thanks four sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving comments, they warm my Canadian heArt!

Popular Posts