Let's Connect

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Grandma Positively Threw the Baby Out with the Bathwater


Sabine Wisman, the instructor for last week's Sketchbook Skool, challenged us to find a photo, make it our own and then ask ourselves, “What happened moments before the photo was taken?" and add text to our sketches.
I found a photo of my dad outside in a wash basin.  I kept Sabine’s question in my mind, and I imagined my dad in the kitchen having a bath and splashing to all heck.  Then imagined Grandma getting mad and throwing the baby out with the bathwater!  This was so much fun imagining what may have happened!
I added the laundry hanging out on the line.  I remember Grandma putting the laundry through the wringer washing machine and then hanging it on the line outside.  Some days could sure be windy on the prairie.  One really hot days, she would strip down to her bra and work outside.  Living on a farm in the middle of Saskatchewan did have its benefits!
I have a memory of Grandma singing, "You are My Sunshine" and doing the laundry.  Whether this is imagined or not, I will never know.  I do know for sure, when she was having troubles doing things in the kitchen or with the laundry on windy days, she would declare, "Oh, sugar in the morning!" instead of swearing.

Dad was a baby in the picture, and I imagined him thinking that he was sorry for splashing up the kitchen and was truly sorry.   
My grandpa never saw my dad until he was six months old, because he was away for training and duty for the Second World War, so there was no,"Wait until your father gets home!" scenario!
This is a new style for me… keeping it simple, a fountain pen, a little purple watercolour and red and purple pencil crayons.  Nothing fancy, but equally fun as the other techniques I have tried. I have to say it was positively enjoyable imagining the baby being thrown out with the bathwater!

Comments

  1. hahaha, such a great imagination :-) Lovely challenge too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving comments, they warm my Canadian heArt!

Popular Posts