Let's Connect

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Remembering...




Police Point Park has always been a little oasis for me in the middle of the prairie! It is a combination of grasslands and forest. My Dad and I used to ride our bikes across the prairie to Police Point. That was before the prairie road was paved and paths were made. mom and I have spent many autumn days there for week long Community Classrooms with my students. My son and I spent many days exploring the enchanted forest there. He would pretend to be a report for National Geographic and would create videos talking about the magnificent Plains Cottonwood trees and the giant boulders that line a dirt path. I have spent many hours walking there in the early summer mornings before the temperature got too hot! What a treasure I have! If only those hills, cliffs, trees, grasses, bushes and paths could talk, they would have a lot of stories and history to tell!




Grassy Lake was a favourite fishing lake we frequently went to. The campground was a farmer's field in the middle of the bald prairie. It was common for us to have to walk around cow paddies to get from our trailer to the lake. Dad liked it because the fishing was usually good and the lake was long and wide and not full of crazy boaters.

Dad and I would get up really early for most people, have a banana and then go fishing!

When I asked dad to wander over to a specific place because I spotted certain birds, he would without hesitation troll the boat closer for me to take a photograph.

On this particular day, on what I call "Pelican Island" (a mere rock pile sticking out of the low lake water) there were about 10 or more pelicans, along with geese, ducks, seagulls, a heron and various other shore birds.

For a change, the pelicans didn't fly away and instead gave a performance!

I got some fantastic close ups. This watercolour painting is of that special day with my dad. Summers are just not the same without him!


 It has been another busy week finishing journal pages.  This page I was practising my hand lettering. 



Life is a song... Sing it!  This is a visual journal reflection of my summer holidays. I started it on the airplane and just finished it this week.



What do you do when you have just hopped out of the tub dripping wet and you look outside and see a Great Horned Owl in one of your willow trees? Well, you put on a hat, get dressed in the first clothes you see, bundle up and out you go!




I hope you have been singing your life's song and have had another artistic week.

Happy Paint Friday!

Comments

  1. Thank you for taking me with you to Police Point Park and your lovely memories and that fabulous painting! Your Handlettering pages are beautiful as well! Great!
    Happy T-Day and weekend!
    Susi from
    FROEBELSTERNCHEN
    ART-JOURNAL-JOURNEY-CHALLENGE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Police Point Park is beautiful! I never heard of it before so I looked it up. Your paintings are a joyful reminder of those wonderful days spent with your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great memories and loved the photo of the Horned Owl, I too would have run out to photograph him, just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Renee. Your story of Police Point reminded me of my days on the prairies, under the Big sky. The sound of grasshoppers, rustling of prairie grain, and heat shimmering off the blacktop. Thank you for your visit to my blog and for the great title! I shall use it if that is okay? Blessings to you and happy painting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can use the title!

      The prairie is a special place of sights and sounds.

      Delete
  5. such wonderful memories and beautiful art. Oh to see an owl up close like that-I would have done the same-great shot of him Renee. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your memories!!
    Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I just love your beautiful paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some wonderful memories to inspire you, and your art is fantastic.Great photos, too, and I would so love to see that owl. Definitely worth leaving the bath tub to see it. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. First time here. I liked reading about your memories with your Dad, and your paintings are gorgeous..especially like the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful paintings and beautiful memories. Isn't it a joy to be able to translate your memories and experiences into art!? I love your visual reflection of your summer holidays. And that owl looks so majestic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous artwork. Memories are often all we have. I cherish the one's I have of my father, though sometimes thinking about them too much bring's a tear to my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pelicans are stunning! What a show you captured! Great journal pages! You can hear your love of the land in Your beautiful words!

    Peace Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your artwork is just beautiful. I grew up much the same, only we had a creek and a canyon, acres of woods and lakes. :D Lots of wildlife. You capture the feeling of childhood and fun--even in the animals--so well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving comments, they warm my Canadian heArt!

Popular Posts