Let's Connect

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Positively Lovely Easter Memories


Red hops in the horizon tonight filling the landscape with cotton candy colours.  The Easter Bunny is preparing for the long night ahead, grateful for the warm sunny day, as it made his old bones feel better and more limber for his favourite job of the year treating children with Easter delights.

He sits eagerly waiting for boys and girls to snuggle into their warm beds.  It is not that he does not want to visit with boys and girls, but he fears he will run out of time and will disappoint some boys and girls if he does not focus on what he needs to do.

He pauses and ponders and plans where will he place the goodies this year.  He sees that the little red wagon is awaiting to transport the treasures that the boy on the acreage will discover on his morning Easter hunt.

Easter Bunny usually places treats in trees and bushes, on top of the horse trailer, inside the barn in the hay bales, in the grey wooden wagons next to the approach to the acreage, and he lovingly places Easter delights in the garden.

The past couple of years it has been chilly and windy, so the boys and their parents had to bundle up in their winter coats for their morning hunt.  One year, however, it was so warm that the boys discovered Mr. Rabbit all melted in his candy box.  The family had to put the chocolate in the refrigerator to harden.

The boys have grown older, one is no longer at home,  their faithful dog that always helped to find the yummy Easter temptations has moved on to doggy heaven, and the anticipation of the Easter morning is not as intense as when the boys were younger, but the tradition remains and excitement still tickles our minds in anticipation of what we may find.

This is the first year I haven't dyed Easter eggs, since I was a little girl, and I am having mixed emotions about not following through with our family tradition.  To make up for the need to be creative with the Easter eggs, I have painted this little watercolour in celebration of the memories that fill my heart with love.

Grandma and Grandpa used to always accompany us, along with my family, my sister's family and my mom and dad.  Even when Grandma and Grandpa were not at their best, they still managed to do their best to decorate the eggs. The last time Grandma helped us, she was very confused, but still knew to use a crayon to make designs.  They were scribbles instead of flowers, but at least she participated.

It has been several years since both grandparents have passed on, but I still can visualize them sitting at the table with the family, excited to be with us, doing their best to help make our eggs colourful and special.

Friday, I missed Dad dipping his eggs in every colour, my brother in-law drawing KISS rock stars on his eggs, my husband and my youngest son drawing silly pop culture characters and slogans, my nephews and my sister cracking jokes and eggs. I don't actually remember my mom ever dying eggs, she can't sit still and has to be always fussing over us with chocolate wafer egg treats and other goodies.

With my dad recovering from his treatment, we thought we would keep Easter a bit more simple this year and not have Easter supper at my mom and dad's house and instead have it at my sister's house, so Mom could relax and help Dad if he needed it.   That included not dying eggs in the afternoon.

Friday, we did have a nice evening with our family and we had a lot of laughs.  We sat and listened to classic country music. Nothing can beat the country music from the 1950s, and anything before the 1980s.  My dad, husband and I like that country music the best.

Dad and I especially like bluegrass, when the singers harmonize, my soul is touched and tears are brought to my eyes.  Perhaps it conjures up memories of listening to music on Sunday mornings at my Grandma and Grandpas's house on the farm?  Maybe it reminds me of the times when I was a little girl and I would sit and watch my dad play guitar and we would sing together?  All I know is sitting beside my dad and listening to the music on Friday brought me and my dad even closer together.  It was the first time I can remember that my dad reached for my hand and held it.  His hands are healed and soft and warm and full of love!

Last year's last Easter Egg


I hope your Easter Sunday is filled with love, goodies and positive memories!  Hugs to all of you!  Hold the hand of someone you love today and remember the good times and the reason for the day!

Thanks everyone for your support and encouragement!

Love, Renee

P.S.
I finished this today too:


Comments

  1. Awe, I love this post! Your family memories IS what Easter is about to me - and although you didn't get to dying eggs this year (since you were a girl, wow!) your watercolor is just GORGEOUS and definitely makes up for the loss in creative egg-dying time ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello Renee,
    traditions can change, but the spirit of your family was still dear and now you have new memories.
    I thought it fun that you have done Easter hunts outside even in the cold weather, now that makes for good memories! I was emotionally moved when you wrote of listening to music with your dad and him reaching for your hand.

    your easter painting is charming and a joy.
    and
    your freedom piece is beautiful, i love the colors and where you placed Freedom.

    thank you for your messages... what a wonderful way to wake to my day! so glad you enjoyed Jessica's music, I think i will be buying an album.... or two. You have also inspired me to add her link... not sure why i did not think of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading about your special Easter memories. The dyed eggs reminded me of my childhood too. We dyed eggs using onion skis. Haven't tried it fir years! We spent months saving the skins then at Easter wrapped them round the eggs making a last layer of old cloth to tie it in a bundle. Then boiled it in a pan. And left it sleeping for a while. A lot of messing about but produced beautiful amber eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to all three of you for visiting and taking time to leave comments. Morg, thanks for sharing you Easter tradition with me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving comments, they warm my Canadian heArt!

Popular Posts